Student Health Services covers the cost of one routine eye exam/refraction office visit every two years through the Barnes Jewish Vision Center. No referral is needed for this appointment, although the student should provide the Vision Center with a referral form to ensure proper billing. If the student experiences any eye difficulty while enrolled and requires more than one eye examination every two years, the student must call Student Health Services for a referral. The student will be responsible for a co-payment of $10 per visit.
There is no Student Health Services coverage for contact lens fittings. The student may, however, obtain a free contact fitting through the residents’ clinic on Monday afternoons during the teaching clinic by calling Dr. Michael Lachtrup’s office. The student should specify that a contact lens fitting is needed at the time the appointment is made. The Vision Center also will extend a 20% discount on the purchase of eyeglasses.
Routine eye exam/contact fitting
Dr. Michael Lachtrup
Center for Advanced Medicine
Routine eye exam
Dr. Mary K. Migneco
Barnes-Jewish Hospital, South Campus
Vision Service Plan
The Assurant Heritage Dental plan includes a vision discount plan through Vision Service Plan (VSP). The vision plan includes discounts on exams and the purchase of prescription eyewear when provided by VSP network doctors. The discount plan is available for the student and everyone covered under the stduent’s dental plan.
Features of VSP:
- Immediate savings when using a VSP network doctor
- No waiting periods
- No deductibles
Services available from a VSP network doctor:
- 20% discount off eye exams (1)
- 20% discount off complete pairs of prescription glasses and lens options (2)
- 15% discount off the contact lens exam (fitting and evaluation) (2)
- VSP has contracted with many of the nation’s laser surgery facilities and doctors, to offer a discount off PRK and LASIK surgeries.
Three easy steps to using VSP:
- Find a VSP network doctor at www.vsp.com or call 800.877.7195 to request a doctor listing.
- Tell the doctor you are a VSP member and provide the covered member’s social security number when you make your appointment.
- Fees are automatically reduced at the time of service – with no claims to fill out.
The vision discount plan is not insurance. Products and services marketed by Assurant Employee Benefits are underwritten and/or provided by Union Security Insurance Company.
- Does not apply to contact lens exam (fitting and evaluation).
- Discounts only offered through the VSP network doctor who provided an eye exam within the last 12 months.
Additional information about the benefit of Assurant’s prepaid dental plan is available upon request.