Human Blood and Bodily Fluids
Individuals exposed to the blood or body fluid of a patient should follow the guidelines below.
1. Immediately following an exposure to blood:
- Wash needlesticks and cuts with soap and water
- Flush splashes to the nose, mouth or skin with water
- Irrigate eyes with clean water or saline
2. Keep the source or patient available for HIV, Hepatitis B antigen and Hepatitis C ab testing.
3. Contact Occupational Health Services at (314) 362-3528. After hours, call (314) 871-2966 and listen carefully for instructions.
All exposures to human blood and body fluids are to be reported immediately to the Health Service, which maintains a 24-hour reporting system.